Thursday, November 19, 2009

41. My Phone

Just like 99% of the people I know, I own a cell phone. I've only had one for a relatively short amount of time (1 year, 5 months). Before that time, people just couldn't believe that I got by without one. Well, I got by just fine. But, now I'm happy I have one. Sure, it's been really convenient to have it and to know I can call somebody anytime I need to and from most anywhere, but it really has turned into a necessity for me now.

Before moving to my new apartment, any apartment I lived in before had phone service. We had to provide our own phone, but we knew it would work when we plugged it in. That was not the case when I moved into my new place. There was no phone, then went I started asking around about our phone number, I learned that the complex had decided to stop providing service in exchange for a few dollars of rent. Well, this was when I was really happy to have my phone. I doubt many people other than me even noticed this. This wouldn't have worked a few years ago. When I first got off my mission, only 2 of the 6 guys in my apartment had a cell phone. In fact, this was still true a year and a half after getting home. That was only 2 and a half years ago!

Anyway, I'm thankful that I finally caught up with everybody else around me and own my own phone now.

1 comment: