Monday, November 2, 2009

24. Prayer

Prayer is a wonderful thing. I'm not really sure how to express my feelings about prayer, or how to really get my point across, but I'll try.

If I'm not careful, my prayers can simply become a part of my routine. When this happens, it feels like I'm just going through the motions. I always know that it's important, but sometimes I don't put in the effort I should. It's a completely different story, however, when I really do put my mind and my heart into it.

While special occasions and difficult periods do a really good job of getting me back into this mode, it's not required, which is a good thing. Prayer is supposed to always be something special. My prayers allow me to communicate with God. That in and of itself is something amazing. Prayer can provide comfort and reassurance. Prayer allows you to work out problems with help from God. Prayer allows you to express thanks for anything and everything. Prayer can make you happy. Prayer can open the doors for receiving guidance. Prayer does a lot of things.

One of my favorite stories describing the power of prayer comes from my mission. It's actually not my experience. It's something that one of my zone leaders told us. It's not a story relating huge, miraculous events and phenomenal answers to prayer. It's simple. He explained to us that he missed being home with his family, but that prayer helped him out with this. He said that the moments that he was on his knees praying were the moments that he most felt like he was home. I always thought that was really cool.

Prayer is good. Prayer has helped me innumerable times in my life and I am thankful for all the blessings that I have received through my prayers, whether they be physical, spiritual, or emotional.

1 comment:

  1. I am so thankful to see you write about how thankful you are for prayer. There have been several times this year that that all our family could do is pray and put our trust in God. I am grateful that you have been a part of that with us. I am sure that we will be relying on prayer again.

    By the way, this is Mom. I am using Kimberly's computer so it might try to tell you that I am her--don't be fooled by technology!

    ReplyDelete