Thursday, October 15, 2009

6. My Car

Say hello to Lola. Lola has been my trusty mode of transportation for the last 4 years. I first acquired her after returning home from my mission in August of 2005. She may not be the newest or sleekest car out there, but she's been trustworthy and has done her job well.

So, some of you may be wondering why in the world my car's name is Lola. Well, I didn't name her. Lola is the name that has stuck with her for 20 years. She was originally my aunt's car, and my aunt is the one who named her Lola. Lola has been in the family ever since. After my aunt, she cycled through a couple of my cousin's during their college years, and now it's my turn. Whenever I see my aunt, she asks me how Lola is doing and I'm always able to give her a good, reassuring report that all is well.

It really has been nice having a car down here at school. While I've never lived more than about a 15 or 20 minute walk from my end of campus, she's come in very handy. I've never been at the bidding of my roommates when it comes to shopping or other errands around town, she's made dating a whole lot less complicated, and she's always been able to get me to and from my home up in Canada. I think she's made it there and back again about 8.5 times now since I've had her (the half comes from the original trip down, which had no accompanying trip up).

Like I said, she's held up extremely well over the years. I've only had to have a few repairs done (i.e. replace the muffler, replace the spark plug wires, and other relatively cheap replacements) to keep her going. Also, she still gets great gas mileage, so I'm happy that I've been able to save some money there as well.

3 comments:

  1. I'm grateful for your car too! She is a fantastic car for a student. I miss her, but am glad she's in such good hands. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I bought my new Lolla, I phoned Patrick and Michelle and Roxanne to tell them I'd just bought Alex's college car. Go Lollas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember hanging out with Roxanne when Old Lola was still a newer Lola. Best car ever!

    ReplyDelete