Saturday, December 12, 2009

64. Grammy's Cookbook

Four years ago, my grandma put together a collection of a bunch of her recipes (and I believe some other family recipes) and had them bound in a book called "Grammy's Cookbook." She gave a copy of this cookbook to every member of the family, so I have my own copy. I have probably used more recipes out of this cookbook than any other cookbook I've had access to, and it has definitely saved me in a few situations where I needed a good recipes on short notice.

A lot of the recipes a for food that has a special place in my heart. The two most sentimental recipes are for her chocolate pudding and gingersnaps. I tried making the pudding once, but I didn't quite have the right touch and it didn't turn out how it was supposed to. It was still good, just not right. I was kind of disappointed about that. I haven't tried it since, but I probably should. This fall I tried taking on the gingersnaps. Those turned out pretty good, and they definitely made me think of Grammy's. I've made them a couple of times this semester, and I bought the stuff to make them again this weekend as a special Christmas treat before going home. I remember getting a package from Grammy for my first Christmas on my mission. I opened it to find a big bag of her gingersnaps that she had made and shipped all the way out to France, and they were delicious.

2 comments:

  1. My favourite parts of Grammy's Cookbook are the comments included in it from her grandchildren.
    Comments about what they liked best and the memories associated with it. We are all blessed to have Grammy (and her cooking) in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grammy's chocolate pudding is Heaven on Earth! I made it for my Young Women once, and they were amazed at how fabulous it was. Served hot with cream. . .delicious!

    I'm like Mom. I love all the memories in the book, too.

    ReplyDelete