Saturday, January 9, 2010

92. Mail

I don't know if this is simply something that stuck with me from my mission, or if I've always been this way, but I really like to get mail. I'm not talking about email, voice mail, or other electronic messages (although I am happy to get those). I'm talking about good old fashioned snail mail. Like I said, this may have developed on my mission when (aside from weekly family emails), the postal service was the only form of communication with anyone outside of the mission.

Obviously I mostly prefer letters and stuff from people I know and who have actually put some thought into whatever they have sent. Packages and things that I've ordered for myself are also great when they arrive. Ha, that last sentence made me think of a scene in "Merry Christmas, M r. Bean" where he writes some Christmas cards, leaves his apartment, pushes the cards through his own mail slot, walks back in and acts all excited that he has Christmas mail. Don't worry, I'm that that dependent on mail to make me happy.

I even like seeing my name on junk mail and other unimportant stuff addressed to me. Of course, this junk mail related happiness is very short and then I realize "well, this is heading straight for the trash."

1 comment:

  1. Funny how good it makes us feel when we see our name on a piece of mail. Email is great, but I am too old to completely convert to electronic communication. Seeing something that someone has actually put in the time to write out in longhand just makes me feel a little more important I guess.

    When Patrick was on his mission, he couldn't use email--only snail mail. It was always a good day when I would find a letter from the Czech Republic in our post office box.

    I commented on your Food Network entry, but I was too slow to get it on there before this one was added. I guess that if you want to see it, you will have to go back a day. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete